In April, we were inspired by the way that social impact organizations are collaborating to drive a more inclusive recovery and help social innovators cross the pioneer gap.
Businesses, associations, startups, and individuals alike are all taking steps to support recovery, and here are some examples of highlights from April 2021 that show forward progress:
Overcoming barriers in the last mile
The only way to realize the impact of an innovative solution is to get it into the hands of the end-users, which is particularly challenging when it comes to rural, remote or off-grid communities. With support from CDC Plus, our partners at Global Distributor’s Collective released a new report on how the last mile distribution (LMD) sector is adapting and innovating following COVID-19. Our partners at ThinkMD were also recognized for their offline-first app, bringing lifesaving care to rural communities worldwide without reliable internet access.
Developing the infrastructure for sustainable change amidst the crisis
Despite the crisis, India recently made amendments to its CSR Law that project the Government’s shift from a ‘comply or explain’ stance to a ‘comply or pay’ stance, putting more pressure on corporates to be strategically involved with their CSR initiatives. Our partners at Sattva published this report outlining key changes and the direct and indirect implications of the amendments on non-profit organisations in India. Insurtech start-up OKO, which provides inclusive agricultural insurance to secure farmers’ income across Africa, also closed a Seed investment of $1.2 million.
Business as a force for good
We recently published a blog feature about S-GRID participant Metis Consulting Group, a B-Corp and Certified Disability Owned Business Enterprise making work more inclusive for all. Here are 5 examples of CSR programs that are meaningfully investing in improved operations and programs
Your career as a force for good
We also shared the inspiring career change story of Global Fellow Lewis, who used the program to launch a dual social impact career with Seabin Project and Larta Institute. Thinking about your own for-purpose career change? Check out all 10 steps of our complete #SocialImpactCareerGuide!
Featured Experteering Projects
Looking for an opportunity to use your skills for good while challenging yourself to grow? Check out this month’s featured projects from our S-GRID network:
- Training social enterprises on sales management & CRM tools: In this one-hour workshop, we want to share best-practices in how to setup and optimize a CRM to support sales efforts. Participants will leave with a clear understanding of how the right tools and customization of those tools can support their sales efforts.
- Predictive Analytics Specialist to review and advise on data model for PoC:Metis provides technical consulting services, primarily to the HR and travel industries. We are developing a Proof of Concept for a travel planning app with a social mission and we are seeking experts in predictive analytics to consult on our working data model for the proof of the concept. Other requirements: Knowledge of SQL and GraphQL strong pluses.
- Communications and Public Relations Lead: Phoenix Space is looking for a communications lead to focus on broad-based messaging and PR initiatives to reach and build long-term relationships with diverse constituent groups. This position will develop and implement a variety of communications and content strategies to increase community visibility and enhance awareness and sustainability to the organization.
- Introductory Python Course Instructor: Phoenix Space have launched a unique learning course which combines learning the Python programming language withspace science. We need assistance to guide groups of students where they are introduced to the fundamentals of Python, and apply their knowledge to solving weekly exercises and mini-projects.
- Software Development Experteer for Sustainability Impact Assessment: Sustainable Pathways is an organisation that works with businesses and organisations to design and re-align them into a sustainable pathway. The project consists of developing our current tool and implementing pre-determined changes to an impact assessment software.
Social Impact Job Opportunities
- Activate Global is hiring for a Project Manager, Partnerships (Berkeley, CA or Boston, MA preferred)
- Acumen is hiring for multiple positions, including:
- Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is hiring for multiple roles:
- The Beeck Center for Social Impact at Georgetown University is hiring a Student Engagement Manager to lead the Student Analyst program and our student engagement on campus
- Change.org is hiring for a variety of roles, including a Product Designer
- Global Giving is hiring for multiple positions, including:
- Desktop Support Engineer (Washington, D.C.)
- Donor Growth Marketing Manager (Washington, D.C.)
- Manager of Strategic Initiatives (Washington, D.C. or remote)
- Associate Manager of Grant Programs (Washington, D.C.)
- Vetting Associate (Washington, D.C. or remote)
- Business Partnerships Associate (UK)
- UK Research & Knowledge Manager – USAID (UK)
- Community Experience Designer (Washington, D.C.)
- MovingWorlds is currently recruiting for a Community Manager and will be opening two new positions soon related to Product Management and CRM administration – follow our career site for more. (remote)
- Network for Empowered Aid Response (NEAR) is hiring for a Senior Communications Specialist (remote)
- RefuSHE is hiring a Managing Director (US)
- Room to Read is currently recruiting for a Program Manager – Equity in Education (US Initiative) to join its team in San Francisco or remotely
- Sattva Consulting is hiring for multiple roles (based in India) as they work to create scalable solutions for sustainable social impact. These include:
- Splash International is hiring a Head of Strategic Initiatives for its Ethiopia offices
Upcoming Events & New Programs
- Ongoing: Makers Unite is launching its first intake session to join its ongoing Creative Lab program for newcomers with refugee or asylum-seeking status. Over 8 weeks, work with Lab Mentors to develop your career, CV, and portfolio. Learn more and sign up here.
- May 1-31st: In honor of Mental Health Awareness month, Belouga and The #SameHere Movement launched a month-long program to bring together over 100 leading mental health organizations, experts and educators from around the world. Learn more here.
- May 17-June 16: Acumen Academy is hosting its first “Build Conference” to share knowledge to help spur rebuilding efforts (speakers include our very own Anna Polatschek and Cole Hoover!)
- May 20th: Join Submittable in a conversation about CSR and social enterprises with Mark Horoszowski, CEO of MovingWorlds, and special guest Louise Bleach, Development and Impact Lead at Desolenator. Register for this webinar here.
- May 27th: Conveners.org is hosting a Masterclass on cultivating, selecting, and training mentors. Free for members, or $20 for non-members. Learn more and sign up here.
- World For Good for receiving the 2021 USASBE- United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship award!
- MovingWorlds S-GRID Program for being named as a 2021 Fast Company World Changing Idea Award Honoree!
- BEMPU Health and their life-saving newborn technologies for being named as finalists by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) for its Growth Stage Impact Venture Initiative 2021!
A Final Bit of Inspiration….
Unprecedented technological capabilities combined with unlimited human creativity have given us tremendous power to take on intractable problems like poverty, unemployment, disease, and environmental degradation. Our challenge is to translate this extraordinary potential into meaningful change.