The State of Social Enterprise in 2024
Quantifying the size and scope of the social enterprise movement globally has been a persistent challenge…until now. First-of-its-kind research by the Schwab Foundation’s Global Alliance for Social Entrepreneurship found that there are approximately 10 million social enterprises operating worldwide — and that collectively, they are generating $2 trillion in annual revenues and creating over 200 million jobs. To put that into perspective, the social entrepreneurship sector is now larger than the $1.57 trillion apparel industry and twice the size of the $875 billion advertising industry! Learn more about the 10 million reasons to invest in social enterprise in this op-ed from the World Economic Forum.
A Call to Action for the Private Sector
With its remarkable global presence and impact, the social enterprise sector is uniquely positioned to transform our world for the better…but only if it gets the investment it needs to realize that potential. The private sector has a crucial role to play in closing that gap – not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it’s the smart thing to do. A new report from Deloitte and the Schwab Foundation underscores the undeniable fact that when corporations join forces with social enterprises, they are better able to attract and retain talent, accelerate innovation, access to new markets, and support sustainability and financial goals. Learn more about the 10 mechanisms of engagement outlined by the report in this summary.
Spotlight on Women Entrepreneurs in the Global South
Deep rooted gender inequality, damaging gender stereotypes and sexist attitudes persist everywhere – and this all impacts on women entrepreneurs’ success. A recently launched white paper from Bayer Foundation delves into the challenges facing women entrepreneurs in the Global South, analyzing the experiences of close to a thousand applicants from the regions. Through a blend of structured and narrative-based questions, the report delves into the comprehensive profiles, challenges, motivations, and desired support of these inspiring women. Among its key takeaways are: 1. The key role of business development support in solving these challenges, and 2. The importance of factoring regional differences into support system design.
Social Impact Job Openings
- Acumen is hiring for an Associate Director, Corporate Partnerships and Engagement (hybrid out of New York, NY)
- Ayuda en Acción is hiring for an Impact Investing Associate – Boosting Opportunities (based in Mexico City, MX)
- Global Fund for Women is hiring for a Global Partnerships Salesforce & Data Management Lead (remote within the US)
- Global Impact Investing Network is hiring for an Associate, GIIN Global Climate Solutions Initiative (based in New York, NY)
- Habitat for Humanity is hiring for an ESG Impact Management and Measurement Strategy Consultant (based in Elkhart County, IN)
- Kaya Impacto is hiring for an Asociado/a Senior o Manager (based in Mexico City, MX)
- Miller Center for Social Entrepreneurship is hiring for an Operations Manager (based in Santa Clara, CA)
- MovingWorlds is hiring for a Program Coordinator (remote)
- Omidyar Network is hiring for a Strategy, Learning, and Impact Associate (based in Washington, D.C.)
- On-Ramps is hiring for a Director, Impact & Innovation (based in Washington, D.C.)
- Recity Network is hiring for a Project Lead (based in Guwahati, Assam, India)
- Shooting Touch is hiring for an Assistant Director of Development (hybrid out of Boston, MA)
- Stanford is hiring for an Impact & Learning Manager, Investments Stanford Impact Labs (hybrid out of Stanford, CA)
- Tech for All is hiring for a Global Lead, Data, Analysis and Planning ( Remote – based in specific Africa, Asia Pacific, or Middle East countries)
- The Farmers Truck is hiring for a Head of Revenue (remote)
- Too Good To Go is hiring for a Public Affairs Manager – US (based in Washington, D.C.)
- Unilever is hiring for a Senior Manager, Community Impact & Engagement (based in Englewood Cliffs, NJ)
Upcoming Events & New Programs
- February 1: Applications open for MIT Solve’s Global Challenges and Indigenous Communities Fellowship.
- February 6: At 4pm GMT / 8am PST, join the TRANSFORM Support Hub for “Leadership Development Series: How to be an Effective Leader,” featuring entrepreneur, strategist, and mentor Carol Squire. Register here.
- February 9: Deadline for Latin American startups focused on economic inclusion, financial health, and community resilience to apply to “ADAPT: Social Innovation for a More Resilient Future,” an accelerator by Village Capital and Metlife
- February 12: Deadline to apply to the Keeling Curve Prize, open to innovations addressing global warming mitigation.
- February 12: Applications open for Bayer Foundation fellowships for apprentices, young professionals and newly qualified workers. Learn more here.
- February 14: Join Social Tech Trust for a free webinar, “How to ignite Change: Amplifying Marginalized Voices for Inclusive Tech Innovation.” Learn more and register here.
- February 15 & 20: Join eBay for Change for one of its introductory webinars about how UK-based social enterprises can succeed and grow through eBay. Learn more and register here.
- February 20: Join Social Enterprise Alliance and Social Enterprise World Forum for an informational session about its new “People and Planet First Verification” for impact enterprises. Learn more and register here.
- February 20: Join Chandramouli Samatham, Founder & CEO of Caare, for a free webinar on “Healthcare for Everyone: How Phygital Clinics are Changing the Game.” Learn more and register here.
- February 22: Join Global Distributors Collective, British International Investment, & Spring Impact for a free webinar, “Models for Scaling Your Last Mile Distribution (LMD) Company.” Learn more and register here.
- February 23: Last chance to be part of ‘Aliados for Water,’ a Coca-Cola Latin America initiative open to leaders of innovative projects in sustainable water management. Learn more and apply here.
- February 23: Join A Curiae for a free webinar, “Correctional Education and Reentry Programming That Works” with Dr. Amy Lopez. Learn more and register here.
- February 28: Join kontakt kollektiv in Hamburg for its monthly women’s leadership circle meeting on the topic of “Stand Up for Your Value: Mastering Salary Talks and Securing Your Financial Future.” Learn more and register here.
- February 28-29: SanKalp Forum will be taking place in Nairobi, Kenya. Learn more and register here.
- March 6: Mark your calendars for 8am PST/4pm GMT to join the TRANSFORM Support Hub for a workshop that will cover how to choose the right strategy to scale. From social franchising to government adoption – we will explore different approaches you can take to scale up solutions, and to change systems, cultures and society Learn more and register here.
- Ongoing: Social Tech Trust is seeking to make 1-2 further investments in UK-based enterprises with a vision to use technology for societal change. Learn more and apply here.
- A Curiae on the publication of its 2023 impact report!
- Aid Pioneers on being honored with the HIM Award from the Hamburg Initiative for Human Rights!
- Ashaya for being featured in a mini documentary by Euronews highlighting how and why it makes sunglasses from plastic chip bags, empowering wastepickers in the process!
- Bold Reuse on the publication of its 2023 impact report!
- Faces Up Uganda on its collaboration with the European Union to host the EUTF Youth Art Exhibition, showcasing of creativity and expression by 46 refugee youth from West Nile!
- Kimolian Academy on its feature in Female Founders about shaping the future of tech for positive impact!
- Koru for its recent partnership positioning it as the go-to technology for Green Sports Alliance, significantly increasing its user base and helping accelerate its ability to scale its technology solution to foster an ecosystem of impactful collaboration!
- Lawrence Juma, founder of Zaida Agri-Sol, on being selected as a Savvy Fellow!
- Leiho for being listed in the Social Impact category of the Startups 100 2024 list!
- Moto Hope Capital on being featured in this DW News feature about African innovators producing climate solutions!
- MovingWorlds and SAP were awarded “Best Collaboration” by Real Leaders at the World Economic Forum conference 2023!
- Nova for being selected as a mentor for the renowned SXSW EDU conference for the second consecutive year!
- Recity Network on expanding to 45+ cities in India in 2023!
- Voiceitt on its feature in this episode of the Wall Street Journal’s ‘Future of Everything’ podcast about making AI voice assistants inclusive of everyone!
A Final Bit of Inspiration
“When corporations join forces with social enterprises, they do not just change the game. They help change lives, build communications, protect our planet and create a world where business success and social progress go hand in hand.”– Anna Marks, Global Chair of Deloitte, DTTL