COP26 and the Race to Net Zero
COP26 – the annual UN climate conference – happened earlier this month in Glasgow, and was met with much fanfare. Catch up on the highs and lows of the ultimate COP26 Glasgow Agreement in our recap here. Important strides were made (new commitments to net zero targets, “phasing down” coal usage, reducing methane emissions, ending deforestation, and a convergence of ESG standards) but without key players at the table and a last-minute watering down of the language in the final agreement, we can understand why Greta called it “watered-down blah blah blah.” Still, progress is often two steps forward, one step back – and we continue to be inspired by the social enterprises who are leading the way forward.
ESG in the Spotlight
Environmental, Social, & Governance (ESG) factors and reporting are a hot topic in the world of business right now (Get a 5-minute overview of what it is and why it matters in this episode of MovingWorlds’ Social Impact Explained: What is ESG.) One of the bright spots to emerge from COP26 was the establishment of the International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB), a new effort to merge many ESG disclosure standards into one, and to encourage the uptake of these standards globally. For more tips on implementing ESG reporting, check out our full ESG reporting guide and make sure your strategy includes these 4 recommendations from Proof of Impact.
The Future of Work and Finding Purpose
A historic number of people are reevaluating their career priorities in the wake of the pandemic and intersecting social and environmental crises, and it’s changing the future of work. Sattva published research into the workforce of tomorrow in India, highlighting the return on skills development programs and the key role they will play in building back better from COVID-19. To support professionals who are ready for a change but not sure where to start, MovingWorlds sourced advice from 30 Global Fellows about transitioning into more meaningful work. As you’ll hear in this episode of the Daughters of Change podcast where MovingWorlds’ own Head of Storytelling, Alexandra, shares her personal career journey, success is never a straight line – but with courage and persistence a values-aligned career is possible.
Social Impact Job Opportunities
- Acumen is hiring for multiple positions, including:
- Agsol is hiring for an Electrical Engineer (based in Nairobi, Kenya)
- Amazon is hiring for a Senior Program Manager – ESG Reporting (based in Seattle, WA)
- ANDE is hiring for a Membership and Programs Intern (based in Washington, D.C.)
- Climate Action Reserve is hiring for a Vice President of Policy (based in Los Angeles, CA)
- Cypress Creek Renewables is hiring for an Associate Director, Community-Scale Markets Policy & Strategy (multiple locations within the US)
- IKEA is hiring for a Sustainability Leader (based in King of Prussia, PA)
- Mercy Corps is hiring for Content Marketing Consultant (remote)
- MovingWorlds is hiring for a Senior Account & Partnerships Manager (remote)
- Nike is hiring for a Social & Community Impact Manager, North America (based in Boston, MA)
- Remitly is hiring for an ESG Program Manager (based in Seattle, WA)
- Resonance is hiring for multiple positions, including:
- Rippleworks is hiring for a Head of People and Culture (based in Redwood City, CA)
- Sattva Consulting is hiring for multiple positions, which you can browse here.
- Yunus Social Business Uganda is hiring for an Investment & Portfolio Manager (based in Kampala, Uganda)
Featured Experteering Projects
Need to build up your skills and experience more to earn your dream social impact job? Check out these experteering opportunities with our S-GRID network:
- Support an Impact Fund for Energy Efficiency with your Finance Skills: Mākhers Studio is a green manufacturing and design-build firm that uses recycled shipping containers and materials to build innovative and affordable modular real estate. The team is seeking support to develop a strategic plan to successfully implement its first impact fund and provide investment needed to build more modular affordable housing.
- Support Heritage Craftsmanship with your Marketing Analytics Skills: Studio Coppre is a social impact organisation working with artisans in India to accelerate the potential of its talented artisans through design and marketing intervention. The team is seeking support to create a marketing dashboard across all identified marketing channels, both offline and online, to track progress and drive improvements.
- Support Youth Leaders in Liberia with your Mentorship Skills: Rehab Africa is a purpose-driven enterprise that empowers, inspires, and transforms lives while raising awareness for equality and access to better education. The team is seeking support to develop a training program to mentor and assist Liberian changemakers on career development and acceleration of programs.
Upcoming Events & New Programs
- December 1: Join ANDE for “What You Need to Know About: Cultivating Entrepreneurial Ecosystems,” a workshop featuring a fireside chat with experts and Q&A. Register here.
- December 2: Join THINKMD for a Virtual Open Mic giving frontline healthcare workers a chance to share their experiences and insights. Register here.
- December 7: Duke University’s Center for Energy, Development, and Global Environment (EDGE) is hosting a free webinar: MBA Careers in Sustainability to share the latest trends, tips, and resources for sustainability careers
- December 7: Careers for Social Impact is hosting a “Career Clarity Retreat” to help participants reflect on the year and map out a plan for their career next steps. Learn more and register here.
- December 14: MovingWorlds SGRID is hosting a free webinar for social entrepreneurs, “What Impact Investors Look for in a Social Enterprise.” Learn more and register here.
- Amba Farmers Voice for being named a “2021 TOP-RATED NONPROFIT” by GreatNonprofits
- Ecomak Recyclers for being nominated for the Best Newcomer category in the Eastern Africa Startup Awards
- PemPem for being named as a Top UpLink Innovator as winner of the Tropical Forest Commodities Challenge at COP26 in Glasgow!
- Urban Spring for being selected to join the Unreasonable Impact Asia Pacific ’21 Program to move the green economy forward!
- Green Bio Energy’s Ziwa Hillington for recognition as a EEP Rising Energy Leader
A Final Bit of Inspiration
“You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.”