The Role of Cross-Ecosystem Partnerships to Unlock the Power of the Social Economy
Ecosystem actors must work together to build mutually beneficial partnerships between social entrepreneurs and enablers — including corporations, impact investors, accelerators, and philanthropists — to unlock the power of the social economy. This World Economic Forum article outlines why inputs such as mentoring, training, and networking are key to realizing the potential of the social enterprise movement. These cross-sector engagements are truly a win-win — something that clearly shines through in this story about the experience of Durian Nigeria Founder, Tony Joy, and her mentor from SAP, Susan Galer. Social enterprise support organizations (SESOs) also have a role to play in facilitating these kinds of mutually beneficial connections, and this NextBillion article outlines 5 ways they can help social enterprises build capacity to take advantage of these partnership opportunities.
Towards Circularity for Textile Waste
With global fiber-to-fiber recycling increasing, India is in a unique position to leverage existing infrastructure and resources to emerge as a leader in capturing waste, implementing new sorting and recycling technologies, and reintroducing its textile waste back into the global market — securing its role as the leading circular sourcing region. TRANSFORM Support Hub social enterprise I was a Sari, for example, takes waste-bound saris and upcycles them into beautiful clothes and accessories. Learn more about the Indian textile waste landscape in this first-of-its-kind study produced by Sattva Consulting in collaboration with Fashion for Good, representing the most comprehensive analysis to date.
Overcoming Barriers to Inclusion
Just like in the pay-as-you-go solar home system market, the ‘unbundling’ of productive use of energy (PUE) value chains is beginning to drive increased participation of smaller, as well as local, companies in the sector. However, selling PUE products – particularly related to agriculture – tends to be much more complex than selling off-grid lighting and basic appliances like TVs and fans. The demand is there, but five key barriers remain to making PUE products accessible at the bottom of the pyramid. Learn more about each, and the innovative ways they are being overcome, in this article from Global Distributors Collective. Another report released this month focuses on barriers to inclusion not for businesses, but for people: in particular, those seeking asylum. In “Blocked From The System,” Mobile Info Team focuses on the experiences of people seeking asylum in Greece, the barriers they face, as well as recommendations for both the Greek government and European Commission to ensure people have fast and fair access to asylum procedure.
Social Impact Job Opportunities
- bird News Agency is hiring for an Editor in Chief (remote)
- Bopinc is hiring for a Senior Program Manager (based in Nairobi, Addis, Abuja or Utrecht)
- Common Impact is hiring for a Chief Program Officer (based in CA, IL, MA, NY, or PA)
- Disability Rights Fund is hiring for a Director of Grants Management (hybrid – Boston, MA and remote)
- Equal Measures 2030 is hiring for a Deputy Executive Director and Head of Partnerships & Learning (remote)
- Georgetown University is hiring for an Assistant Director, Youth Ambassador Program – Center for Intercultural Education and Development (based in Washington, D.C.)
- GLENworld is hiring for multiple part-time and internship positions across software development, UX/UI, and communications.
- Google is hiring for multiple positions, including:
- Program Manager, Supply Chain Sustainability Net Zero (based in Sunnyvale, CA)
- Director, Sustainability Engagement & Partnerships (based in San Francisco, New York, or D.C.)
- GreenBiz Group is hiring for an ESG Analyst (based in Oakland, CA – remote eligible)
- LCW is hiring for a Business Development Associate (remote)
- MicroMentor is hiring for a Development Senior Coordinator (based in Portland, OR)
- Resonance Consulting is hiring for multiple positions, including:
- Sattva Consulting is hiring for multiple positions, including:
- Sistema.bio is hiring for a Global Head of Financial Planning, Analysis, & Consolidation (based in Mexico City, Mexico)
- Sustainable Development Solutions Network is hiring for a Full-Stack Web Developer (based in Paris, France)
- TERN is hiring for a Growth Marketing Lead (based in London, UK)
- VolunteerMatch is hiring for a Senior Product Manager (remote)
Upcoming Events & New Programs
- October 6: Join Larta Institute for an informational session about the funding opportunity with America’s Seed Fund
- October 6: Join the TRANSFORM Support Hub for a free professional growth webinar, “Introduction to Human-Centered Design.” Learn more and register here.
- October 12: Join the TRANSFORM Support Hub for a free social enterprise webinar, “Using Impact Data to Improve Sales & Value Chains.” Learn more and register here.
- October 16: Deadline to apply for the Upaya Social Ventures Dignified Jobs Accelerator 2023
- October 20: Join the TRANSFORM Support Hub for a free professional development webinar, “How to Partner with a Social Enterprise.” Learn more and register here.
- MovingWorlds Institute alumna and outstanding philanthropist, Cathryn McClellan Kelly, for being recognized in the 2022 Black Women Give Back List!
- Upcycled clothing social enterprise, MEEMA, on earning its B-Corp certification!
- Studio Coppre on earning the Nest Seal of Ethical Handicraft! (Looking for ethical corporate gifts this year? Check out their updated catalogue here!)
- BAMBUHAY Founder, Mark Sultan Gersava, for being recognized as Entrepreneur of the Year by Asia CEO Awards 2022!
- Arqlite Founder, Sebastian Sajoux, on his recent feature in California Best Startup!
- MovingWorlds Institute alumnus turned social entrepreneur, Kieran White, on his recent interview on the ReFi podcast, where he shares more his work at Return Protocol building blockchain infrastructure to enable the mass adoption of regenerative finance to combat the climate crisis!
A final bit of Inspiration
“Remember, we are all affecting the world every moment, whether we mean to or not. Our actions and states of mind matter, because we are so deeply interconnected with one another.”