Revolutionizing Our Food Systems Through Collective Action
Protecting plant health plays a significant role in ending hunger, reducing poverty, protecting biodiversity, and boosting economic development. Reimagining our global food system is no easy feat, but collective action can help us get there. Social enterprises like these are pioneering new, regenerative approaches that restore and enhance ecosystem health, and working with global corporations to bring them to scale. In this LinkedIn article, Unilever’s Global Manager of Nutrition for North America reflects on the powerful role of partnerships in revolutionizing our agricultural systems.
Sustainability as a Business Model
We recently had the pleasure of hosting Caroline Meledo, Director of ESG for Bayer Consumer Health, for a behind the scenes look at what it takes to scale ESG at a global corporation. Among the practical and actionable insights she shared (find them all in the session recap here) was the importance of embedding sustainability throughout the business model — from setting targets, to implementing strategies, to reporting. In this recent case study, our friends at Proof explore how Web3 can make pulling that reporting data even more transparent and seamless.
Leveraging Digital Tools to Meet Customers Where They Are
To scale your social enterprise, you need to be able to reach new customers, build your brand, and generate new sales and partnerships. We recently had the pleasure of hosting marketing activist Lindsay LaShell for the closing Industry Leader webinar of our “Marketing Strategy” thematic learning group, where she shared a simple yet powerful framework that has helped thousands of purpose-driven organizations improve their digital marketing by meeting customers where they are. This case study from our partners at SCBF is a great example of how adapting digital communication technologies and channels to customer realities can overcome barriers to growth for micro businesses.
Social Impact Job Openings
- Common Future is hiring for a Vice President, Finance (remote within U.S.)
- Global Distributors Collective is hiring for a Project Manager (based in Kenya, Zimbabwe, Senegal, or Nepal)
- Global Impact Investing Network is hiring for a Human Resource Associate (hybrid out of New York City, NY)
- Mercy Corps Ventures is hiring for a Senior Manager, Media & Communications (based in Portland, OR, Washington, D.C., or remote)
- Pyxera Global is hiring for multiple positions, including:
- Skoll Foundation is hiring for a Program Coordinator (based in Palo Alto, CA)
- Spring Impact is hiring for a Head of Global Operations (hybrid out of London, U.K.)
- United Nations Foundation is hiring for a Manager, Strategic Outreach and Content Marketing, Innovative Finance, Clean Cooking Alliance (remote)
- U.S. International Development Finance Corporation is hiring for an Impact Management & Monitoring Specialist (based in Washington, D.C.)
- Village Capital is hiring for a Graphic Design Contractor (remote)
- Vision Spring is hiring for a Global Senior Manager, Content Marketing (based out of Lagos, Nigeria or Accra, Ghana)
Upcoming Events & New Programs
- June 7: Join Pyxera Global at Circularity 23 for the session “How to: Scaling Equitable Reverse Logistics.” Learn more and register here.
- June 10: Application deadline for the fully funded African Youth Summit 2023, open to Changemakers aged 21-28 years old from or living in Africa working to create positive impact in their communities.
- June 12: Deadline to apply to Climate Tech Launchpad, a program launched by Village Capital and Dream.org for Black and LatinX-led early-stage startups that are working to reduce inequities exacerbated by climate change.
- June 14: Join Unity Effect for a free virtual workshop, “Peer Learning in Teams and Organizations.” Learn more and register here.
- June 14: If you’re in New York City, join Miller Center for Social Entrepreneurship for a half-day, hands-on workshop on “Activating Your Women Customers Through Women-Centered Design.” Learn more and register here.
- June 15: Tamarack Institute is hosting a workshop, “Collective Impact 3.0: Designing a Movement for Change.” Learn more and register here.
- June 25: Deadline to apply for Smart Energy Solutions for Africa (SESA), open to enterprises in Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda and Tanzania with a focus on access to energy, productive use of energy, and/or circular economy.
- June 30: Deadline to apply for the 100+ Accelerator, open to innovative startups working to solve some of the world’s most pressing supply chain challenges. Selected enterprises will be awarded up to $100k USD for pilot implementation.
- June 30: Deadline to apply to the Cartier Women’s Initiative, open to women-run and women-owned businesses from any country and sector that aim to have a strong and sustainable social and/or environmental impact.
- Safeplan Uganda on winning a 2023 Prestige Award, which recognizes small and medium sized businesses that have proven to be the best in their market over the past 12 months!
- BIOSORRA on becoming the first company to register and certify Biochar in Kenya, recognized by Kenya Bureau Government as an organic soil amendment and carbon negative farming solution!
- Anuprerna Artisan Alliance on its launch of new product categories across fashion, homes, and accessories made from its artisanal textiles!
- Watu Development Foundation (WDF) on its launch of a social enterprise financial inclusion initiative called Promoting Inclusive Microfinance Enterprises Limited (PRIME Microfinance)!
- BAMBUHAY on being selected by the Department of Finance for a story feature in CNN International to showcase in the world the promotion of Green Initiatives in the Philippines!
- THINKMD on its recent milestone of expanding its clinical intelligence platform to cover adults!
- ChangemakerXChange on launching the first cohort of its Changemakers for the Planet program!
- Proof of Impact on its new partnership with AssetMetrix!
- Pyxera Global’s Circular City Coalition on being selected by Fast Company as a 2023 World Changing Idea!
- LeadMinds Africa and WASHKING both relaunched newly rebranded websites!
- Ashaya for winning the Net Impact 2023 Circular Plastics Challenge!
- Seabin on the successful launch of its second equity crowdfunding campaign!
- Caare on launching a new partnership with Abbott to address healthcare disparities and expand access to quality care!
A Final Bit of Inspiration
“The future is fluid. Each act, each decision, and each development creates new possibilities and eliminates others. The future is ours to direct.”